SAKILIANSWAP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Shoutbox

Sign The Guestbook
Guestbook
Latest topics
» FREE INTERNET ON YOUR PHONE SAWA NETWORK
NEW DISCOVER PLANTS I_icon_minitimeThu 17 Sep 2015, 08:19 by Nenz Kie

» ANG BAGONG REGALO NI GLOBO
NEW DISCOVER PLANTS I_icon_minitimeSun 18 May 2014, 06:14 by Admin

» NEW DISCOVER PLANTS
NEW DISCOVER PLANTS I_icon_minitimeWed 14 May 2014, 07:11 by Admin

» Attention[New Site Is Born]
NEW DISCOVER PLANTS I_icon_minitimeTue 16 Jul 2013, 07:16 by Admin

» UNLITRIO1400 FOR GLOBE
NEW DISCOVER PLANTS I_icon_minitimeFri 28 Dec 2012, 13:52 by Admin

» Fast Frontquery Settings(Globe)
NEW DISCOVER PLANTS I_icon_minitimeThu 08 Nov 2012, 12:07 by Admin

» WORKING OM SETTINGS FOR GLOBE UPDATED(25/12/2011)
NEW DISCOVER PLANTS I_icon_minitimeTue 31 Jul 2012, 09:01 by Admin

» PROV FILE BACK UP TWEAKS!
NEW DISCOVER PLANTS I_icon_minitimeSun 25 Dec 2011, 02:58 by Admin

» [TUT] Modify the TEXT COLOR of your phone in just 5minutes!
NEW DISCOVER PLANTS I_icon_minitimeMon 22 Aug 2011, 15:27 by Admin

NEW DISCOVER PLANTS

Go down

NEW DISCOVER PLANTS Empty NEW DISCOVER PLANTS

This newly discovered plant in Zambales eats metal
ABS-CBNnews.com
Posted at 05/14/2014 1:57 AM | Updated as of 05/14/2014 1:57 AM
Rinorea niccolifera
Photo by Dr. Edwino S. Fernando

MANILA -- Scientists from the University of the Philippines in Los Banos have discovered a new plant species in northern Zambales province that can safely absorb large amounts of metal.
Named Rinorea niccolifera, the plant is one of only 450 species known as "hyperaccumulator" plants.
Professor Edwino Fernando, lead researcher and author of a new study on the plant, said the leaves of the plant can absorb 18,000 parts per million of nickel, which is 1,000 times more than can be safely absorbed by any other known plant.
The study, made with colleague Dr. Marilyn Quimado and their team, can be read online at open access journal PhytoKeys.
"The new species was discovered on the western part of Luzon Island in the Philippines, an area known for soils rich in heavy metals," the researchers said in a press release announcing their discovery.
Co-author of the study, Augustine Doronila of the University of Melbourne, pointed out that hyperaccumulator plants also have "great potentials for the development of green technologies, for example, 'phytoremediation' and 'phytomining'."
"Phytoremediation" describes how hyperaccumulator plants remove heavy metals from contaminated soils, while "phytomining" refers to how hyperacccumulator plants grow and harvest to recover commercially valuable metals in plant shoots from metal-rich sites.
It means that the newly discovered plant species can help clean up contaminated soil or mine soil rich in metal.

Copy from:
http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/lifestyle/classified-odd/05/13/14/newly-discovered-plant-zambales-eats-metal
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://vhorlle.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum